Sunday, November 12, 2017

Tax and Spend or Tax somemore



Criminal Slick Willy Sutton is supposed to have said his reason for robbing banks was: “- that is where the money is”. Why are properties taxed? I would guess States feel most home owners and businesses have the money. We in NJ just elected a Governor who believes that is where the money is. Yes, the Governor Elect wants tax increases on the rich. If a property is assessed at some high level the owner will need to pay more. If a property owner is assumed to have an income, or a source of income, more than a dreamed up amount they should pay more.
I remember when Philadelphia reassessed properties in the area known as Society Hill or Queens Village, A poor women was faced with extreme taxes. A Politician said she could sell the property and move to a more affordable neighborhood. I am certain that the rich can afford to move. Why did Mr. Murphy not plan to reduce State Spending to levels where the lower rated properties would experience tax reductions? Maybe he and his cohorts should look at the ‘Industries that are not taxed’ or are given the tax breaks’. Why are “tax breaks” given? Each year Tax freezes are calculated. How is the calculation done, by whom are they done or calculated? I’m certain those in my category are happy to receive their freeze or rebate. But some of would love to know what is the state’s money is spent on and what properties are receiving tax breaks. I am certain if I was sufficiently rich, or a high income business, I would hire someone clever enough to look at all the ins and outs to reduce my burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment