Tuesday, August 7, 2012

50 $ Lesson

(Copied from an E-mail and slightly edited)

>   The $50 Lesson
> Recently, while I was working in the flower beds in the front yard,
> my neighbors stopped to chat as they returned home from walking their   dog.
>
> During our friendly conversation, I asked their 12 year old daughter
> what she wanted to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be
> President some day.
>
> Both of her parents - liberal Democrats - were standing there, so I
> asked her, "If you were President what would be the first thing you   would
> do?"
>
> She replied, "I'd give food and houses to all the homeless   people."
>
> Her parents beamed with pride!
>
> "Wow...what a worthy goal!" I said. "But you don't have   to wait
> until you're President to do that!" I told her.
>
> "What do you mean?" she replied.
>
> So I told her, "You can come over to my house and mow the lawn,   pull
> weeds, and trim my hedge, and I'll pay you $50. Then you can go over to
> the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him
> the $50 to use toward food and a new house."
>
> She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight
> in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and   do the
> work, and you can just pay him the $50?"
>
> I said, "Welcome to the Tea Party."
>
> Her parents aren't speaking to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment